Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pirate Curse

Review by Edan
Title: Pirate Curse (Wave Walker Trilogy - Book 1)
Author: Kia Meyer
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: 2006

Quick Summary:
     14 year old Jolly is a pirate in the Caribbean, but not just any pirate, a polliwog. Being a polliwog, she can walk on water and she is sure she is the last polliwog alive. After her ship was destroyed,  Jolly makes her way to a island where she meets Munk, the other last polliwog. Together they wind there way through an adventure with a mysterious character the Ghost Trader, a ship captain, a pit bull headed man, a pirate princess and another pirate their age. The Ghost Trader seems trust worthy, telling them information, but he is holding something back. Can these two polliwogs find out the truth of their adventure?

Review:
     I have never been interested in pirates or Pirates of the Caribbean, but this book has an interesting tale and twist. I love the idea of walking on water and the way Meyer describes it. I can just imagine jumping from wave to wave, feeling the current pulling me beneath my feet and laying down on the water as if jut carries you like a flying carpet. The book is loaded with adventure and action, I mean it's a pirate book, how can it not have action! The creatures they describe and in legends they tell, make me wonder where they came from. Are these stories from the Caribbean, sailors, pirates or other parts of the world? I read a book (The Island of the Aunts) that mentions the kraken. That book takes place in the middle of the ocean in the middle of nowhere. In the Pirate Curse, they also mention the kraken, but describe it in a totally different way. It make you compare different books and their stories.

     The end of the book seems to end in a strange place, but it makes you want to get the second book. If you get the first book, I suggest you get the second book at the same time so you don't have to wait to get the second book (unlike I did, I have to wait a while until I can get the second book. It's killing me).

Rating: *****


   

No comments:

Post a Comment