Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hush: An Irish Princess Tale

Review by Mo
Title: Hush: An Irish Princess Tale
Author: Donna Jo Napoli
Published: 2007
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Quick Summary:
Melkorka is an Irish princess. For her birthday, she begs her parents to take her to visit Dublin. Then finally consent, but, while there, Melkorka's brother's hand is cut of. The family rushes him back to their home, where he is treated. When a viking kind asks to marry Melkorka, she is firmly set against it. However, her father has a plan. She and her sister, Brigid, flee their home and hide. Then, a passing slave ship sees the two girls and captures them. Melkorka refuses to speak to anyone. This confuses her captors and gives her power. Far from home and everything she knows, her silence becomes more and more important.

Review:
I thought this book had a good story. I really felt for Melkorka when she was captured. I thought she was really brave when she stood up for other slaves who were being abused, but she also frustrated me when she acted like she was better than peasants. I really liked her sister, Brigid, because she was kind and brave. I think I actually liked Brigid better than Melkorka. At some points, I felt like the story was moving a little too slowly, but I think it's kinda supposed to be that way, because Melkorka is supposed to feel trapped and frustrated that she can't escape. There were also some kind of weird(inappropriate) parts in the book. If it were a movie, it would be PG-13. I hated the ending thought. It didn't feel resolved to me, and I kept thinking about it a lot after I finished. I was expecting a different ending. Overall, I recommend this book as long as you don't care about the romance and stuff. It was interesting and I'm glad I read it.
Rating: ****


No comments:

Post a Comment