Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Green Glass Sea

Review by Mo
Title: The Green Glass Sea
Author: Ellen Klages
Publisher: Puffin Books
Published: 2006

Quick Summary:
While WWII rages through Europe, Americans at home are working tirelessly to end the war. The brightest scientists are gathered together in the middle of New Mexico in a town that officially doesn't exist. The kids go to school in the town and while they know their parents are working on something for the war, they don't know what. As unusual as their lives are, Suze and Dewey go through the usual childhood problems. They form a friendship and Suze's family takes Dewey in when her dad is killed. One night, the whole town gathers to see it go off: the atomic bomb.

Review:
I really liked this book. I was astonished that no one knew the effects of the bomb, but after reading this book I understand that the people were under extreme duress and didn't have time to fully test the bomb's lasting effects. I couldn't stop dwelling on this book after I finished it. I kept going back to it, wanting to find someone to blame for the disaster the world faced after the bomb dropped, but it was more complicated than that. I still can't decide how much the people who ordered the bomb to be dropped knew. I was a little anxious before starting the book because I wasn't sure how much I wanted to know about the atomic bomb, but know I'm glad I read it. Besides the bomb, the book was also about fitting in. Both girls were outsiders but while one of them just accepted that and did her own thing, the other one tried desperately to fit in, even if her trying was turning her into a person she didn't want to be. I liked both parts of the story. All the characters were complicated and real. There was a lot of character development throughout the story, as well. It was an interesting way to learn about history. The book was really well researched, so without having to study, I now know much more about WWII. This book was also unique, because even though this people were far, far away from the battle, they impacted the war more than anyone else did. The story left me thinking.
Rating:*****

No comments:

Post a Comment