Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Out of My Mind

Review by Edan
Title: Out of My Mind
Author: Sharon M. Draper
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Published: 2010

Quicke Summary:
Melody is 11 and has never walked, talked, written or ran. She has cerebral palsy and is stuck in a wheelchair, unable to talk. Even though she is stuck in a room with other disabled kids learning the A-B-C's everyday, she is one of the smartest kids in her school, but no one know's it. She observes the world and takes in everything, and even has music connected to colors and smells. Finally she is able to  break free of her trap and can finally "talk" and learn in a real classroom, but will she be able to go on without letting herself, family and friends down?

Review:
I really enjoyed this book. It was constructed with vivid words and phrases and gave me a personal connection with the characters. It gave me another view on the physically disabled and made me appreciate the fact that I can move, talk and communicate. Whenever I see or meet someone physically disabled, understand them more and what challenges they have. Even though I normally don't like slow moving books like this, I became so connected with Melody that I couldn't stop reading. I needed to know if everything ended up okay, or if something happened to her. I could pick up this book over and over and never get tired of it. This book will change your view on the disabled forever.

Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment